lulu in West Africa

lulu in West Africa
with Laura and a few new friends

Countries in West Africa

Countries in West Africa
West African Countries

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It's a long way from Charlotte, NC to Lome, Togo!

After a tearful goodbye, I waved one more time to mom on the other side of the security lines. I was excited about the trip but a little worried about traveling so far by myself. Those worries were soon gone as I found myself on the plane to Atlanta next to a young woman also headed to Africa. She was part of a medical mission and there were lots of them on the same plane. And, come to find out, they were also on the plane to Ethiopia! God takes care of everything! 
While in Atlanta, I had a taco salad for lunch, knowing it would be awhile before having a fresh salad again. I talked with my fiance' Joshua on the phone and then to my mom. They called to board and I entered the jet on Ethiopia Airlines. It was a prelude to being in Africa with bright colors and African music playing. After everyone found their seats, we were soon given a blanket, pillow, sleeping mask and socks. There were screens in the backs of the seats for individual viewing of movies and shows. This reminded me of the trip to South Africa I took with my mom when I was 12. 
The flight was very long, flying all night and landing in Ethiopia the next morning. I had awhile to wait in the airport before boarding my flight to Togo. I finally landed in Togo around noon and I was soon greeted by Macklann's bright smile. Unfortunately, my luggage did not arrive with me so we headed off to Macklann's home with only my backpack. We thought this might happen so at least I had the necessities and my meds with me, but not a change of clothes. This is going to be an adventure. Here we go--I'm in TOGO!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize how concerned I was about your travel until Macklann called. After I spoke to you, I couldn't stop crying! Poor Joshua had the get the news of your safety through my sobs!

    ReplyDelete